Vintage Knitting, Retro Dressmaking, Make do and Mend, Original and Vintage Inspired Knitting Patterns, Vintage Inspired books

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blanche Too

I have wanted to revisit and improve my Blanche design from several years ago, for some considerable time. Time constraints being what they are however,  I didn't get the chance for over four years to come back to one of favourite ever designs and improve and expand the pattern. The original design was also in an aran weight yarn but now it is knitted in Excelana DK making it a perfect every day jumper. Knitted in stocking stitch it is the shaping and details that make this garment really special. The instructions now include 9 sizes from 30 inch to 52 inch chest and has full instructions to knit Blanche either in flat pieces or in the round.

And so here she is -



I have used Excelana DK in Persian Grey for the sample. Charlie is modelling the size 34 inch (86cm) - her correct size. It is designed to be worn with between 1 and 3 inches of negative ease at the bust to give it a perfectly sculpted 1950s feel to the garment. The ear-rings, necklace and bracelet are all 1950s originals and the gorgeous checked pencil skirt is hand made.



The square neckline is extremely flattering for all body shapes as are the short-but-not-too-short sleeves.



The body is shaped with subtle decreases and increases to create waist shaping again reminiscent of the 1950s.



This example is knitted in the round and is a real pleasure to knit particularly when taking a break from more challenging projects. You can easily knit Blanche up within a couple of weeks and be wearing her before the end of September.

It looks great on both a slim or more full silhouette as you can see here with me modelling my own version in Nile Green Excelana. This version is knitted flat and then sewn together. It is the size 42-44 inch which comes out at 41 inches.






If you would like to purchase the PDF pattern you can buy the pattern either directly from ravelry
or
via my website

The pattern containing 9 sizes and instructions for both knitting in the round or flat construction is £4 (please note this is for a downloadable PDF pattern only) and here are all the bits you need to know:


Blanche

To fit bust size: 
76, 81, 86, 91-96, 101, 107-112, 117, 122, 127-132 cm
30, 32, 34, 36-38, 40, 42-44, 46, 48, 50-52 inches

Materials
Excelana Luxury DK, 100% pure new British wool, 119m (130yd) per 50g ball
4 (4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9) balls in shade Persian Grey
Stitch Holders
Stitch Markers

Plus

If knitted flat:
1 pair 3.25mm (US 3) needles
1 pair 4mm (US 6) needles, plus an additional spare 4mm needle
1 4mm 60cm circular needle

If knitted in the round:
1 3.25mm 60cm long circular needle
1 4mm 60cm long circular needle plus an additional spare 4mm needle
Set of 3.25mm double pointed needles
Set of 4mm double pointed needles

£4.00
(PDF download)


I do hope you like her.

for now,
Ruby xxx

9 comments :

azwoolgirl said...

What a great design and so vintage!

Helen Le Caplain said...

Another gorgeous pattern you've adjusted here - looks lovely!

www.mancunianvintage.com

mags said...

Love it. I would like to knit it with long sleeves, do you think that would work? Warm and cuddly for winter.

Just call me Ruby said...

I think a 3/4 sleeve would work the best. I'm going to look at adding an alternative sleeve to the pattern as it sounds like it would be popular :-)

Tabet said...

Very beautiful! :)
Love
Tabea

http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

Icy Sedgwick said...

I think I shall have to try that!

Anna said...

It looks beautiful - yet another of your designs to add to my list!

Susie Hewer said...

Hi Susan,

That is a lovely, classic style and a must-knit for me (well, when I've finished my current crochet project!). Love the idea of 3/4 sleeves as I've got bingo wings which I like to try and conceal ;-)

Also, I just got you newsletter about Coquette yarn and I am in love with those colours. Beautiful.

Love, Susie xxx

Audrey said...

I do fine in short sleeves but I LOVE 3/4!